Designed to facilitate a writer’s unique voice through the development of bold copywriting and storytelling.
The Screenwriting Workshop is a three-day workshop, designed to provide individualized story and career development for emerging screenwriters with a short-form or feature length fiction screenplay.
Each Screenwriting participant (“Fellow”) will be paired with a Creative Advisor, with whom they’ll work one-on-one to further develop their project over the course of the program. The Screenwriting Workshop also helps to further the careers of its Fellows by introducing them to film industry veterans who can offer guidance on both the craft and business of screenwriting. A variety of guest speakers may screen and discuss their own films and offer career insights, and a final pitch event offers further opportunity for individualized feedback and discussion with industry executives.
Who Can Apply?
The Screenwriting Workshop is open to any writer applying with a completed draft of a feature-length project they wish to workshop during the program, with an eye toward production.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following materials for consideration:
- A cover letter detailing what drew you to apply to the Screenwriting Workshop and why this is the right time for you to participate in the program (500 words max)
- One complete, feature-length screenplay
- An artistic statement explaining the creative vision and intentions for the film (750 words max)
- A look book (optional)
- A logline (35 words) and synopsis for the film or tv pilot
- Bio(s) of the participant (s)
- Project status and history, including any relevant development history
- A narrative directing sample, if you plan on directing the film with which you are applying
- Screenwriting Workshop is for writers only; other collaborators are not invited to participate.
- Writing partners/teams are welcome to apply and need only submit one application.
- We are open to filmmakers at any level of experience.
- International applicants are eligible; the script must be translated into English for consideration.
- Adaptations are eligible; the applicant must retain rights to the underlying material.
- Documentary, short film and television projects are eligible to apply.
- We will reconsider projects that have previously been submitted, provided the writer(s) can demonstrate progress on the project and/or professional development.
- Filmmakers may apply to multiple Ford Studios’ Workshop programs and there is no requirement to have participated in any one program before another.
- $300 per ParticipantMembers
Please note: Each applicant must be the author of the script he/she submits.
The Fine Print
Applicants will be notified three to four weeks prior to the start of the program.
Applicants who are invited to participate in the program should plan to be able to participate online for the duration of the Workshop and have access to all necessary equipment and software. Ford Studios is unable to subsidize any equipment or software expenses for any participants. Participants are expected to attend all sessions on time.
For more information, please email: [email protected]com.